Thursday, October 16, 2008

Challenges and Blessings

Well, first of all, sorry for not posting in a long time. Life has been crazy, and it just got crazier. I have mentioned before that my students talk all the time, and I think I said that my voice was not very strong because of it. It has been bad for almost seven weeks now. I can't really talk loud or change pitch or sing. The last few days, my chest started to hurt too. The nurse at the school started getting concerned so we went to the doctor today. Before going, someone told me I may have to go on complete vocal rest for one week, so I was trying to mentally prepare for that. At the doctor, he stuck a camera in my mouth and looked down my throat at my vocal chords. I didn't want to look, but the nurse who was with me, Linda, was able to see my vocal chords on a TV screen. Technology amazes me! Well, from the camera, he saw two nodules on my vocal chords, one on each side. For those of you like me that have no idea what that means, basically, there are two bumps on my vocal chords that are very bad. If they don't go away, it could require surgery. So, the doctor has ordered complete vocal rest for THREE WEEKS! I cannot talk for at least three weeks, which means no teaching. At this point, that all hasn't sunk in. I still can't believe I can't say anything for that long. Please pray that my vocal chords would heal so that I don't have to get surgery. They should go away with rest. For those of you who know me, you will know that it will be very hard for me not to talk for that long! Please pray for my kids as well as they will have a sub for quite a while. I found all this out today after school, so they don't even know yet.

Other than that whole mess, life here is crazy but good. I have been able to do a few fun things, like jump off and slide down waterfalls. That was quite the experience! It was absolutely beautiful. My students are chatty (obviously!) but so cute. I have seen an intense interest in Spiritual things. Please pray that God would open their hearts and that they would all enter a real relationship with Him that will last. I was able to try out a church I really liked the last two weeks. Last week I went by myself! I probably won't be able to go for a while since I can't talk, but we will see.

On the funny side of things, my mom sent me a rubber chicken in the mail! Those who know my mom won't be shocked. It was so funny to get a bound and gagged rubber chicken in the mail! Maybe it can talk for me :) Life has truly been good, though it is tough at times, and will now get tougher. Please pray that everything would work out for my students. I also don't have enough sick days at work, so we are not sure what will happen there. I know the Lord will work everything out, it will just be finding out what that will look like. Thanks for the prayers and I will try to post an update with pictures soon!

2 comments:

kelsy said...

Oh, Mindy.... I'm so sorry that your poor voice is having to be turned off for a time. Wish I could be there to have funny conversations in attempted sign language with you. Your mom and I prayed for you last night. This week in Sundays school at ACC we're learning about the name JEHOVAH-ROPHE for God.... which means "The Lord Who Heals". I'll be praying to JEHOVAH-ROPHE that your voice would heal quickly and that you would not loose heart. You can email me if you need to vent and can't get it out with your voice! :) Love, Kelsy

Our Four Kids said...

Praying for you here! Please post an update when you see how God works it all out! Do you have a little white board or pad of paper you can carry around with you all the time?!