Wednesday, November 21, 2012

Just Call Me Miss Ridiculous

That's about how I am feeling right now. Ridiculous. Not in a bad way, but in a "Did I really decide to do that?" way. Let me explain. It all started a couple weeks ago. Well, actually last year. Last year one of the families leaving said they would give me their Christmas tree for my classroom. It is beautiful, but it happens to be seven feet tall! Pretty big for a classroom, but my classroom is pretty big. So this was not a big deal. Well, a couple weeks ago we read a story about Chinatown. I remember going to a Chinatown as a kid and loving it. We don't have one here, but we do have a Chinese restaurant. So I thought it would be fun to take my kids there. So next Wednesday we are going to go to a restaurant. Yes, I am taking 19 second graders to a sit down restaurant. Beginning of ridiculous. Then I decided that I should start teaching them formal manners. Some have learned these at home, but others have not. Yesterday I taught the boys how to open doors for the girls, pull out their chairs, etc. Well, now the boys all fight to open the door and go last. More ridiculous. Haha! A week and a half ago my friend was talking to someone and all the sudden I heard "Well, let me check with the science teachers. Oh wait, maybe Miss Seeman would want it!" And she proceeded to ask if I wanted a hamster for my classroom. Yes, you guessed it, I said yes. Classroom pets are cool, right? Well, cupcake the hamster arrived today. Just in time for the Thanksgiving break. So on Monday morning, Cupcake will (hopefully) be ready to face 19 eager, very distractible, second graders. Oh, did I mention that she will bite if you squeeze her too hard? Yep, more ridiculous. So, Christmas tree, hamster, field trip, all in the same week. Can it get more ridiculous? Yes, yes it can. I was looking through our new Bible curriculum and saw that there is an optional Christmas Walk you can do, with a live nativity scene and more. There are lines, different scenes, murals to do, and more. Guess who decided to do it? And guess who is starting practicing next week? Yes, that would be me, Miss Ridiculous. Ha!

So if you hear screaming coming from Kenya, you will know why :). Hopefully I will live through next week. But I am so grateful to the Lord for all these opportunities. And hopefully my kids will not just remember how ridiculous I am, but how much Jesus loves them. Then I have done my job.

No comments: