Thursday, May 3, 2012

Chickens and Children

I haven't posted much lately. Part of that is business. Part of that is laziness. Part of that is feeling like I don't have much to write. Life has been the same in many ways. School, life in Africa, taking care of babies on the weekend when I can. I forget that that's not what everyone else does, so maybe they want to hear about life here. Right  now I am listening to the rain pour down. It's 7:25 pm and pitch black outside. Rainy season is here. I love the rain, unless it is during school hours. Then it's not so fun. I told my kids today to not get wet on purpose because they will get plenty wet on accident. That basically characterizes rainy season. 

We only have about 20 school days left. A month from now I will be exploring Europe with my roommate! I can't believe my first year living in Africa is almost over. It has had it's challenges, but God is good and I love life here. I will miss my crazy kids, that's for sure. 

I am now on my third foster baby here in Kenya. Moses and Leo were both adopted. This semester has been crazy, so I haven't been able to take a baby as much as I would like. I have had a little girl, Irene, for two weekends so far. She is almost 3 months or so and is as cute as can be! I hope I can take her a little bit more before I go home for the summer. It's so fun to put her in cute little clothes!





I am excited to go pick her up hopefully tomorrow. I haven't been able to take her for the last two weekends. I was babysitting for one and the other one I went to Makutano, a village about 7 hours from here where my roommate Jennifer's aunt has a ministry. I had been wanting to go up there for a long time but hadn't made it yet.

It was so interesting and heartbreaking to be out in rural Kenya. Most of these people have rarely seen a light skinned person, never seen a paved road, let alone a city, and live in poverty. It was amazing to see what the ministry, Village Project Africa, is doing. God is working through them! We went to church, did home visits, hung out with some of the kids at the school, drove around, and painted a little. They have a school, dorms, clinic, greenhouse, and many other things. The thing that amazes me is that this ministry just started up about 5 years ago. It's incredible! I loved driving around and meeting the people. As we drove, people were excited to see a car, and even more excited to see light skinned people in it! One little boy started clapping and spinning in circles and cheering when he saw a car go by. I want to be that amazed by the little things!
 Greenhouse tomatoes. They are huge! They will provide food for the kids and also a profit when they sell the extra ones.
 Two cuties peeking in at the guests during one of the home visits.
 Kids at the school walking home with their balloon animals and hats. I am so thankful I learned how to make these on my first mission trip to Mexico 11 years ago. Where has the time gone?
 Balloons!
 Out in the surrounding villages. If you look carefully you will notice a "sweetie" candy in her hand. I am glad I brought those along!
 These kids LOVED having their picture taken. They would look at it and start cracking up. Even the adults wanted them taken too!
 By the end, we were encircled with people who wanted a "sweetie" and to get their picture taken. And of course to see the light skinned visitors!


In case you are wondering why the title had the word chicken...

At one of the houses we visited, they wanted to say thank you to Emily, so they gave her a LIVE CHICKEN! And to make matters even more funny, it was in the middle of a HUGE rainstorm. So we were driving through the rain on flooded roads with a chicken! My voice sounds funny in the video, but it's too funny not to post. 

Well, that's my life lately. And hopefully there will be more to come soon!

No comments: